The process to raze the building that once was McKitrick Hospital on Detroit Street in Kenton is underway.
It was announced in the Fall of 2019 that the building would be demolished.
The work was originally scheduled to start in 2020 but was delayed.
McKitrick Hospital was founded by Dr. Austin S. McKitrick, who was for a number of years Kenton’s only surgeon.
He had been a practicing physician and surgeon for more than 50 years and was Kenton’s first member of the American College of Surgeons.
He practiced in Kenton for more than 40 years before going to Elyria where he established a practice.
Dr. McKitrick died in 1941 at the age of 78 in Elyria.
His body was returned to Kenton and is buried at Grove Cemetery.
The hospital he founded was later converted to apartments before being abandoned.
It has sat empty for a number of years.