A house was totally destroyed by fire Thursday morning south of Alger.
According to information from the Hardin County Sheriff’s Office, the Alger Fire Department was dispatched around 8:15 Thursday morning to 8091 County Road 35.
The house was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived and was a total loss.
No one was home at the time, and there were no injuries.
The Red Cross provided assistance for the immediate needs of those affected, such as temporary lodging, food and clothing. “We’re deeply saddened for those who were impacted by this fire,” said Todd James, Executive Director, North Central Ohio Chapter. “As we continue to help them, we urge everyone to take steps to minimize the risk of a fire occurring in their home.”
HOME FIRE SAFETY:
There are several things people can do to protect themselves and their loved ones from fires. They include:
.Installing smoke alarms on every level of the home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas. Test them every month and replace the batteries at least once a year.
.Developing a fire evacuation plan with all members of the household and practicing it several times a year, at different times of the day. Include two ways to get out of every room and consider escape ladders for sleeping areas or homes on the second floor or above. Pick a place outside for everyone to meet and make sure everyone knows where it is.
.Removing any fire hazards from the home.
RED CROSS APPS:
People can download the all-inclusive Red Cross Emergency app which combines more than 35 emergency alerts to help keep the user safe. And there is a special mobile app -Monster Guard – designed for kids, teaching them to prepare for emergencies at home by playing an engaging game. Users can find the apps in smartphone app stores by searching for the American Red Cross or going to redcross.org/apps.
The fire remains under investigation.